The Benefits of Basil
The health benefits of basil are numerous and wide
ranging. The basil plant can be utilized in many forms and for many
medicinal and therapeutic uses, thus making it an excellent herb to
cultivate in your garden.
p>Found almost everywhere in the world, basil is hearty and easy to
grow and use. Whether you decide to ingest the basil herb directly to
derive its benefits or use it as a tincture, tonic, or oil, harnessing
the incredible benefits of the basil herb will help you achieve optimal
health and wellness.
What are the benefits of basil herb?
As one of the oldest herbs on earth, basil has long been regarded as
a holy herb, and has even been called the King of herbs. So what are
the benefits of basil I hear you ask... Well, here is a summary of the
herb’s main properties and the benefits they carry :
- Basil is high in Vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant renowned for
its role in eye and vision health.
- It is also high in Vitamin K, essential for coagulation of blood.
Vitamin K also promotes bone strength and health by assisting in the
mineralization of the bones.
- The leaves of the basil plants contain high levels of iron which
is an essential component of hemoglobin in the blood and determines the
ability of the blood to carry oxygen through the body.
- The herb also contains potassium which helps control blood
pressure and heart rate.
- In addition, basil contains high levels of beta-carotene and
lutein, a naturally occurring carotenoid thought to aid in prevention
of eye diseases such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Zeaxanthin is found abundantly in basil and provides ultra violet
filtration to protect the retinal area of the eye.
- It contains essential oils like cintronellol, eugenol,
linalool,citral, limonene and terpineol that are anti inflammatory and
- Basil contains compounds that aid in relief of indigestion,
nausea and constipation.
- It is a natural fever reducer and has antispasmodic properties.
- The herb is an all natural expectorant and can be used to safely
treat chronic or acute cough in babies, children and adults. It can
also be used to treat bronchitis and asthma.
- Basil can be used as a tool for reproductive health. It acts as
an emmenagogue, or a blood flow stimulant in cases of delay or lack of
- It is an effective all natural bug repellent and can also be used
to treat insect bites and stings. Simply bruise and crush its leaves to
release the basil oil and rub it over your skin.
- Basil is an antidepressant and is used to treat anxiety as well
What are the treatment uses of basil?
- If you have sore throat or have caught a cough, then boiling the
herb’s leaves with ginger and taking it as a tea is a great way to
alleviate these symptoms.
- Basil can be distilled into a tonic and if applied topically will
tighten and smooth your skin, close and shrink large pores and
generally leave your complexion glowing and radiant.
- A tea of basil and honey can be taken daily for six months to aid
in the passing of kidney stones.
- It reduces the amount of cholesterol in the blood and has a
beneficial effect in recovery and prevention of cardiac disease.
- The essential oil of the herb
also has a wide range of health
beneficial properties and uses – from treating acne to providing
from headache or migraine pain and general invigoration of the body and
As you can see basil is a terrific way to add the benefits of nature
to your life easily and inexpensively. Regular consumption or
application of basil herb will result in cumulative long term health
benefits that will keep you looking and feeling great. Because of that
we hope you will agree with us that incorporating basil into your herb
garden is a smart way to ensure you always have plenty of this
powerhouse of an herb on hand and at the same time add nutrition,
variety and interest to your diet, garden and life.
Thank you for visiting our guide… we look
forward to welcoming you to Liguria and hope you will love it as much
as we do !
| Homepage | Liguria Travel | Car Hire in Italy | Driving in Italy | Liguria Weather |Portofino Weather | Liguria B&Bs | Liguria Hotels | Cinque Terre Hotels | Tipping in Italy | Liguria E-cards | Liguria Hospitals and Health Advice| Cinque Terre | Cinque Terre Travel | Golfo deo Poeti | Liguria Castles | Italy Real Estate | Property Restoration in Italy | Food Festivals | Current Events in Liguria|